Corned Beef ‘n’ Sauerkraut Bake
In the 17th century, the celebration of Saint Patrick’s life turned into the holiday we know of today as St. Patrick’s Day. This Irish holiday is celebrated every year on the anniversary of St. Patrick’s death which is believed to be March 17, 461 A.D. Tons of Irish food, good booze and the color green are ways his life is commemorated! This Corned Beef ‘n’ Sauerkraut Bake is the perfect easy-to-make Irish meal that the whole family will enjoy!
- 1-3/4 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained (2 for $4 of 32oz. Schweigert Sauerkraut this week)
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef, julienned ($3.99 lb. Open Acres Corned Beef Flats)
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing ($2.49 Kraft Salad Dressing 14-16oz. this week)
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup coarsely crushed seasoned rye crackers
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a greased 1-1/2 -qt. baking dish, layer half the sauerkraut, corned beef and cheese. Repeat layers. Drop salad dressing by teaspoonful over the cheese. Arrange tomato slices over the top; dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in crumbs; sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
1 cup: 380 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1142mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.