Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce
This week you can get glorious pork baby back ribs for just $2.99 a pound. A great rack of ribs like that deserves a legendary sauce recipe. Styles and flavors vary from city to city, and we’re not going to solve the debate of which one is best…but Kansas City ranks high among rib-lovers. This recipe from AmazingRibs.com helps you make top-rated BBQ sauce at home.
Here’s all you’ll need:
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 2 cups ketchup
• 1/2 cup yellow mustard
• 1/2 cup cider vinegar
• 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 1/4 cup steak sauce
• 1/4 cup dark molasses
• 1/4 to 3/4 cup honey
• 1 teaspoon hot sauce
• 1 cup dark brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
1. In a small bowl, mix chili powder, black pepper, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, and brown sugar.
3. Warm oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onions and sauté about 5 minutes.
4. Crush the garlic, add, and cook for another minute.
5. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes.
6. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes uncovered until thick.
Adjust any ingredients to your personal taste. You may prefer your sauce to be sweeter or tarter. Give it a shot as outlined, then make it your own personal masterpiece!